TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > Tutorials / How To / Where To

Sewing a T-shirt cutout as a BP

DukeThylacine
Thu, 21/03/2024 - 13:51

Hello everybody!

I'm doing my first battlevest and for the backpatch I wanted to do a print from a T-shirt. Now I've tried sewing it on a machine (have basically 0 experience with it) and the fabric/print steered off course.

I was thinking about using a not too strong of a glue (maybe the glue used for paper) so as not to destroy the print or the vest in anyway.

Do you guys have any tips? Thanks in advance!

PS: really wanted to finish the vest before a concert in april, so ordering a custom BP would probably take too long.

Doomgarlic's picture

Buy vlieseline, cut to the desired size of your backpatch, iron it to the back of the cut out cloth and you're good to go. Vlieseline gives sturdiness to your backpatch.

Also, if you want to make the backpatch even more durable, see to that you have some excess cloth that you can fold over the edges of the vliseline and sew a simple straight stitch around the edge of the patch, or sew a tight zig-zag stitch all around the edge of the patch for a more border like appearance.

a chicken's picture

I can vouch for Vliseline 100%, the sturdier stuff with an iron-on/glue backing, made a couple backpatches and plenty small patches with the stuff. Easy to find at your local arts+crafts/fabric shop, but you can get a roll of it online too🖤🤘

DukeThylacine's picture

Thanks lads. I've seen Vlieseline in only one store online in the whole of Serbia, but as I figured there are other brands of the essentially same stuff. It's like a "paper" that can stick to fabric on both sides as I figured. I will probably go with this method for the sake of having the print a bit sturdier.

Doomgarlic's picture

Should be available at any hobby store, cloth supplier, seamstress or sewing machine shop. That "paper" you found sounds close enough though. Best of luck with your project! :)

Edit: Saw now that a chicken already mentioned those kinds of shops.

MorticiA's picture

Yea, I got several tips.

1) For the edges either fold them over to prevent them from unraveling or apply a fabric glue to the edge. Worse case: use hot glue. But I find folding the edge under it'self to be the fastest.

2) Adding rigidity is fine. Iron-on fabric glues can help.

3) Pin your Patch on first.

4) A sewing machine is useful but there are few settings that may help you out: Adjust thread-tension (If you find that the Machine hits so hard that it's causes the fabrics to bunch-up and become hamburger then the tension is too high. I think this effects the Bobbin too, but that's good in this case.

5) Find the best rate of pressure on the foot-pedal, it may very well be tiny, but the Speed should scale with the amount of pressure on it. Many Machines now days take off like a rocket and are seemingly impossible to control. I recommend getting some scrap fabrics of a towel or shirt that's fucked-over and experiment with that on the machine. Practice makes perfect.

6) Consider not using a Sewing machine. BP's can seemingly take a while, but compared to putting them on a Leather Jacket.... They are a breeze. But, trust me about pinning it in place first.

slayerslayer's picture

Im going to chime in with number 3 also . definitely use many pins to secure the material into place . either to pin the cutout to the backing or to the jacket, before you stitch it together.

DukeThylacine's picture

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated 🤘🤘

579,975 items in the gallery, 884,506 comments, and 649 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments

• Brat moj bolje da si uzeo mjicu type of negative i iseko mislim da bi hilonbolje dosta
  • Beautiful! \m/
  • Thanks, always loved the idea of portrait patches and wondered why there are not more bands doing this.
  • That's an official patch as far as I know. Quite sure I've seen it at one of their concerts.
  • Thank you!
  • Not sure. I’ll let you know when I remember. Cheers!
  • Hi, no, I don't know, I traded this with someone
  • Unfortunately man. cheers
  • That is wild!
  • Unreal
  • Thank you so much bro
  • Thanks! I like the band very much. I don't know if the shirt is rare.
  • DM me an offer
  • Oh shit!! I missed out on these big time…. I recently found his page and shop a couple weeks ago
  • La tienes disponible en M?
  • So nice damn